Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe |Restaurant Style Veg Hara Bhara Kabab
What makes this kebab green? Spinach, green peas and coriander leaves. These are popular vegetarian kebabs in India.
A healthy & delicious Indian vegetarian snack made with spinach, potatoes and green peas makes a divine snack for the vegetarians, can also be served as a part of a meal. Hara Bhara Kabab is a tasty, vegetarian variant of the meaty Kabab. These fresh greens combined with exotic spices create an amazingly irresistible dish that is delicious, aromatic and mouth watering.
I have always been a big time fan of starters. As much as I love the thought of munching them, what lures me more for making umpteen starters is the fact that a starter acts as a benchmark for any meal that we are about to serve to our family, guests or friends.
Hence, whenever I get the luxury of time, I do try to make different combinations for starters.
The good thing about making them is that they can also served as snacks with beverages and works as a mind blowing substitute for the raw snacks that we usually serve.
Which vegetables can be used to make Hara Bhara Kabab?
- As the name suggests, Hara Bhara Kabab has a lot of green leafy vegetables in it giving it a beautiful green colour. But some other vegetables need to be added to give the kabab some body.
- I prefer to add potato and peas apart from spinach and coriander, but you can very well add sweet potato or raw banana too.
- You can also add other green leafy vegetables like fenugreek, amaranth etc to the kabab as well.
- Carrots, beans and capsicum can be added too.
- I have used frozen thawed peas but you can use raw peas as well. Or else you can boil the fresh peas and use them.
How To Bake Hara Bhara Kabab ?
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees celsius. use both the top and bottom heating rods of the oven while preheating as well as baking.
- Brush some oil on top of each kabab.
- Place kababs in a tray which has been sprayed or greased with some oil.
- Place the kebabs on a tray or wired rack in the center of the oven.
- Bake hara bhara kabab at 180 degrees celsius for 20 to 25 minutes or till the kabab get browned from the top. You can even change the sides after 10 to 15 minutes of baking. Better to bake both the sides of hara bhara kebab.
Prepration for Hara Bhara Kabab :
- Boil water and then switch off the flame. Keep rinsed spinach in hot water for 2 minutes. Remove and keep the leaves in cold water for 1 minute.
- Finely chop the spinach and keep aside.
- Roast besan (gram flour) in a small pan till it becomes aromatic and changes its color. Don’t over roast or darken the gram flour.
- Steam or boil the peas in a pressure cooker or pan .
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker.
- Crush chopped ginger and green chillies in a mortar-pestle to a paste or finely chop them .
- Prepare the fresh bread crumbs by placing the bread into a blender or a food processor and pulse or let the machine run until the bread crumbs are as fine or coarse as you like them.
Tips For Making Tasty Hara Bhara Kabab :
- The spice powders namely chaat masala and amchur powder can be adjusted as per your taste preferences.
- For a spicy kabab, increase the number of green chillies.
- If you don’t have chaat masala, then just add garam masala powder but reduce the quantity to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder. For a slight tang, also add ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- For binding instead of gram flour (besan), corn flour or corn starch and all-purpose flour (maida) can also be used. You can even use bread crumbs.
- If the kabab breaks while pan-frying, then it means there is more moisture in the kabab and the binding ingredient is not enough. Thus add some more of the roasted gram flour in the kabab mixture.
Hara Bhara Kabab recipe | Restaurant Style Veg Hara Bhara Kabab
- 10 Cashew
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies Finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1/2 Cup Beans chopped
- 1/2 Cup Spinach blanched
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 50 grams Paneer grated
- 3 Medium Potatoes Boiled & Mashed
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Gram Flour ( Besan ) roasted
- 1 tsp Red chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Bread Crumbs
- In the pan, add 1.5 teaspoon of oil on medium heat and fry cashew till lightly brown.
- Once the oil is hot, add Cumin Seeds, chopped ginger and green chili and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add green peas , Beans, Capsicum . Cover and Cook till vegetables are soft.
- Add Spinach and Coriander leaves. Mix Well.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit and then transfer it to a blender and grind it to a paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add boiled potato and paneer to it. Add fried and chopped cashew in it.
- Add all the spices black salt, garam masala, roasted gram flour, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt to taste and Bread crumbs.
- Add more bread crumbs if the mixture is too wet.
- Make small kabab from the mixture. Place one Sliced Cashew on it. Coat it in a bread crumb and prepare the all kababs like this.
- Heat oil in a pan. Shallow fry the kababs until golden brown from both the sides. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen tissue.
- Serve hara bhara kabab hot with coriander chutney or mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Make sure there is very little water grinding the spinach and other greens. If it’s too watery, your final mixture will also become watery and it will be difficult to shape the kabab.
- If by any change your final mixture is very soft, add some bread crumbs to bind it well.
- You can also bake or air fry the kabab.
Hara bhara kebab is a great snack for any party, goes well with chai. It can also be used as patties in sandwiches or burgers. These kebabs are vegan, full of greens and easy to make. They are not only delicious but nutritious as well. Go make them now!
Cooking with lots of love and straight from the heart.
Pans n ovens