Besan ladoo with Tips and Tricks | Magaz Ladoo
Besan Ladoo is the most popular Indian sweet to make during the festive season. You need just a few ingredients such as gram flour, ghee, and sugar to make these amazing melt-in-the-mouth dessert balls. Make this decadent sweet with this easy fail-proof recipe!
There are three key ingredients for making Besan ke laddu.
Besan : First Ingredient
There are different of besan sold in the market with varying level of texture. For this recipe also I have used Coarse Besan. This way the laddus turn out grainy and lighter.
On the contrary, the ones made with regular besan will be denser and smoother. It’s all about your preference. The rest of the ingredients and recipe measurements remain the same, irrespective of what kind of besan you use.
But You can also use regular besan just add a mixture of milk and ghee. Mix all the ingredients between your palms to make a coarse mixture. You have to do it gently so that all the gram flour is coated with milk and ghee.
In Gujarati this is called “Dhabo”. Doing this will make the ladoos super creamy, smooth, silky and melt in mouth.
Tagar: Second Ingredient
Tagar is the key ingredient for our Laddus. Tagar or boora is essential for good laddus. You can use powdered sugar as well, but it is not the same. Powdered sugar is very fine and smooth.
For besan laddu we need some graininess and texture, which can be only obtained from tagar or boora.
Tagar can be used in different kinds of laddus, burfis and pedas. It is a perfect addition to your sweet pantry.
Can I use powdered sugar for making Besan Laddu?
Yes, you can if you want to. But, if we use Powdered sugar ( Confectioners sugar) our laddus will not have the desired texture. They will be the ones that stick to the top of your mouth.
Another question that is often asked is :
Can I use Jaggery to make Besan Laddus?
Yes, surely. Substitute Tagar with the equal or slightly more quantity of Jaggery. Follow rest of the recipe as such.
Ghee: Third Ingredient
Laddus made in ghee tastes best. Using good quality of ghee helps these laddus more aromatic.
Procedure to make Besan laddu:
Roasting besan is a key step and needs patience and love. Love for laddus!
Roast the Besan on low to medium flame stirring continuously. Slow roasting is important for uniform cooking of besan and that perfectly sweet besan aroma, that we need in our Laddus!
Wondered why my besan laddus are bitter?
Answer: You somehow burnt the besan instead of roasting it. Or in other words I can say that the besan was over roasted. Besan needs to be slow roasted while being continuously stirred. Else you might end up burning it. Hence mildly bitter tasting laddus.!
Once the besan starts to leave ghee, it means it is well roasted now. At this point we switch of the flame and take the pan off gas. But we need to keep stirring it for another minute or so as the besan is still very hot and it will keep cooking and might get darker or even burn. So, we need to bring down its temperature, and since the pan is also hot, we must empty the contents into a big plate. Spread using a ladle and keep stirring in between, till it reaches a temperature where you can easiy handle it with your hands.
Tips for making Best Besan ke Laddu:
If You follow these tips you can make best market style besan laddu at home.
- When making tagar, make sure to use a wooden or metal spatula and remove it from the heat as soon as starts to turn milky. Also, keep stirring it continuously and keep breaking the big lumps just they form. Adding 1 tsp ghee prevents it from sticking to the sides and avoids making the lumps.
- Use a blender to break the big lumps, but make sure to be quick and do it when the tagar is still warm.
- Make sure besan is not very hot while mixing the tagar, else the tagar (Sugar) will melt. And texture of laddu may be spoiled. So cool down the mixture before adding ground sugar.
- If the besan is dry and you have difficulty shaping, just add some melted ghee to the mixture and mix well.
- And if somehow your mixture is very greasy, then roast some more besan in very little ghee and add to the mixture.
- Many times when you make besan ke laddu at home they remain soft even after following all the steps. There is one trick to add slight crunch when you eat besan laddu . Add 2 tbsp of water while you are done roasting besan. This will make danedaar laddu .
- While roasting take care to keep it stirring after sometimes even if you have switched off the heat. Because besan is still hot will keep cooking in residual heat.
Besan ladoo with Tips and Tricks | Magaz Ladoo
- 2 Cups ( 250 Gram ) Beasn
- 1 Cup ( 150 Gram ) Sugar
- 3/4 Cup ( 150 Gram ) Ghee
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Melon seeds
- 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Almonds
- In a big vessel add gram flour. In another vessel add milk and 2 tbsp Ghee mix well.
- Add this ghee mixture to a besan and mix all the ingredients between your palms to make a coarse mixture. You have to do it gently so that all the gram flour is coated with milk and ghee. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Into a pan add sugar and 1/3 Cup water.
- Bring the syrup to a boil. Cook for another 3-4 minutes till the syrup starts to lose its translucency.
- As the syrup turns milky, add a tsp of ghee and vigorously stir.
- Take it off the flame, place on a kitchen counter and continue stirring.
- Keep stirring as the sugar solidifies and become tagar. Continuous stirring is essential to obtain a lump free tagar. Store the tagar in an airtight container for months.
- Now dry roast the melon seeds and keep aside .
- Add a 1 tsp of ghee in a pan and roast chopped almonds . keep aside.
- Sieve besan, to remove any kind of lumps.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat ghee and add the sifted Besan.
- Roast besan at low to medium flame for 20-25 minutes while continuously stirring.
- When the besan turns aromatic and golden brown and starts to leave ghee, switch off the flame.
- Remove the pan of gas stove and keep stirring for another minute before removing it into a plate.
- When the besan mixture reaches a temperature where it is easy to handle with hands, add Tagar , Cardamom powder, Melon seeds and Amonds. Mix well.
- Shape Laddus by taking a handful of mixture and pressing it between fingers and rotating.
- Super Delicious melt in mouth Laduus are ready.
Cooking with lots of love and straight from the heart.
Pans n Ovens