Eggless Ladi Pav Recipe | Mumbai Ladi Pav
Ladi pav, pav bun, Indian Bun, or dinner rolls, there are so many names for this bread. Ladi Pav Recipe is popular in almost every part of the county. But you will find a regional influence on this ladi pav recipe as you move from north to south.
There’s nothing quite like freshly-baked homemade Ladi Pav and Buns. It’s one of the easiest things to bake and looks so elegant and tastes amazingly delicious!
Before we start the recipe let me tell you what is Ladi pav?
This word is a combination of two different words where Ladi means Chain and Pav means bread/bun. So ladi pav means Buns that are stuck together to form a block.
These are close to fabulous Mumbai ladi pavs that are easy to make and are light and fluffy with a good flavor and hearty texture. So consider yourself warned, these Homemade Ladi Pav and Buns are hard to resist!!
STEP BY STEP PROCESS FOR EGGLESS LADI PAV BREAD BUNS RECIPE:
1. PROOFING YEAST:
- The first step is to proof the yeast. For this warm (lukewarm) milk in a bowl, add sugar and then yeast. Mix well and keep in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes till it becomes thick and frothy . If your yeast fails this step please discard and repeat proofing process. Proceed with this step only if you are using active dry yeast. Skip this step in case you are using instant yeast.
2. PREPARING THE DOUGH FOR EGGLESS LADI PAV BREAD BUNS RECIPE:
To make the dough, you will need:
- Proofed yeast and all purpose flour
- In a bowl add all purpose flour, Milk Powder and a little salt.
- Mix and make a well in the centre of the flour.
- Add the yeast mixture to the well. And then add butter,
- Use your hands or dough maker to knead to a soft pliable dough. It would be slightly sticky but that’s absolutely fine.
- Transfer a dough to a kitchen counter and knead for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Kneading is the most important stage to develop gluten, and make the dough elastic.
3. FIRST RISE OF THE DOUGH:
- Now transfer the dough to a big bowl, cover and keep aside in a warm place about one hour (or more depending on your climatic conditions).
- The dough will rise and double or even triple in volume.
- Once the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and knead it for another 2-3 minutes. This step is important for lighter pavs. Dough elasticity and gluten formation is enhanced by kneading. If it’s too sticky, add a little flour and knead. But don’t add too much flour, otherwise the pav will not be that soft.
- Now divide this dough to equal portions (around 30 to 35 grams each). Now keep one portion in your palm and with other hand roll this in circular motion to make a round shape. You get 10 to 12 medium sized pavs. But all this again depend of how much your dough has risen and how airy it is.
- Grease a cake tin with oil and place the shaped dough balls. Keep the dough portions very close touching each other. If there is space, they will rise sideways and not up.
- Now cover the tin with damp cloth or a plastic wrap and keep aside for another half an hour (or a little more) till they rise.
The precautions to keep in mind for light fluffy Pavs:
- Well proofed yeast.
- Dough should double or triple in size.
- Second rise of the dough rolls is also equally important.
- Applying butter after removing pavs from oven so that the top part will become soft.
If you follow these, I don’t think you can go wrong to get these feather light Pav buns.
Eggless Ladi Pav Recipe | Mumbai Ladi Pav
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Dry Yeast
- 1.5 tbsp Milk Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 4 tsp Butter
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- Warm milk in a bowl, add sugar and then yeast. Mix well and keep in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes till it becomes frothy.
Preparing the dough:
- In a bowl add flour , milk powder and salt. Mix and make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture. Knead to a soft pliable dough adding the butter.
- Transfer the dough to a big bowl, cover and keep aside in a warm place about one hour.
- The dough will rise and double in volume.Knead for another 2-3 minutes adding a little flour, if it’s too sticky.
- Divide dough to equal portions and make a round ball shapes .
- Grease a cake tin and place the dough balls close to each other.
- Now cover the tin and keep aside for half an hour till they rise.
- Brush pavs with milk.
- Preheat your oven to 200C and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or till done to get a brown colour.
- Remove and brush pavs with butter and cover with moist cloth for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be served with bhaji or can make vada pao .
- Proofing yeast is very important. Very hot milk or water will kill yeast and cold milk or water will not activate yeast. So the temperature should be warm (lukewarm).
- Kneading is the key to perfect pavs. Kneading develops gluten and makes the dough soft and elastic. You can also use a food processor with dough making blade to knead the dough.
- When you first remove the pav from the oven they might feel hard on the top. They will be super soft as they cool down. Also brushing the top with butter softens the pavs.
Cooking with lots of love and straight from the heart.
Pans n ovens
5 thoughts on “Eggless Ladi Pav Recipe | Mumbai Ladi Pav”
Very amazing and easy recipe
Thank you 😊
Wonderful recipe 👌🏻👍🏻 i will try definitely..
Thank you PansnOvens . It was so easy to prepare Pav for today’s dinner after reading your blog.
I m not having oven..I hv microwave so pls tell me accordingly.
For Baking Without Oven, I recommend to use a large Pressure Cooker. Remove the Rubber Gasket and Whistle.Add 2 cups of salt, a wire stand . Cover and heat in Medium-High Flame. Quite on the higher side. Preheat for 10 minutes.Once the pavs are well risen after brushing with milk using a tong, place the tin inside the cooker and quickly close the lid/cover. Bake these for 15-18 minutes in Medium-High Flame.