Thandai Recipe| Thandai Powder
Dry Fruits Thandai is a traditional Indian beverage popular in North Indian states of UP and Rajasthan and made especially for the festival of Holi. This drink is very refreshing, and a perfect summer cooler.
Making thandai is a little bit of a tedious process. Traditionally it was made by soaking the spices in milk or water overnight and then grinding them to a fine paste before mixing in the milk along with a few other ingredients.
With time becoming a big constraint in most peoples lifestyle and availability of machines which can do an awesome job with grinding, this Thandai masala powder comes in very handy when you like to sip on a chilled glass but have time crunch.
Just make a batch of this Thandai masala powder and all you need is 5 minutes to make a delicious drink. I am also coming up with interesting recipes using this Thandai Masala Powder, so make sure you make double batch to try all those delicacies.
When you have Thandai masala ready, making Thandai is super easy. You can even use it to make fusion desserts like Thandai Mousse, Thandai Cupcakes, Thandai Kulfi , Thandai Cheesecake and much more.
What is Thandai Masala powder made of??
Basically, it is a combination of nuts like Khus Khus, pistachios, almonds, melon seeds and also peppercorns for that slight spice. Rose petals and fennel seeds add to the aromatic essence. Saffron strands give it a lovely colour. These ingredients plus few other are then blended together to make a coarse powder which is then used in many different recipes.
Thandai Masala has all the rich, aromatic spices making it apt for the festivities.
Thandai | Thandai Powder
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Pistachios
- 1/4 Cup Muskmelon Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1.5 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 Cup Rose Petals
- 1/2 Cup Khus Khus
For making Thandai from Thandai Powder
- 1/2 Litre Milk
- few strands of Saffron soaked in milk
- Take fennel, black pepper and sugar in a mixer jar and grind finely.
- Place the ground mixture over a sieve and strain it.
- Again grind the left over chunks over the sieve along with sugar. Strain again and collect in a bowl.
- After this, add almonds, pistachios, melon seeds, cardamon powder,rose petals, khus-khus and remaining sugar in the mixer jar and grind finely.
- Mix this to the fennel and black pepper mixture and mix thoroughly. Strain this mixture again through a sieve to mix it well.
- Thandai powder is now ready.
For making Thandai of Thandai powder:
- Take some milk in a glass and add 7 tsp thandai powder and Saffron to it and stir to mix up thoroughly.
- Keep this mixture aside for half an hour. After half an hour, mix this thandai mix milk to the remaining milk along with some ice cubes and place it in a mixer jar.
- Mix until ice cubes blends well. Thandai is ready, transfer it a glass.
- Garnish the thandai with some pistachios.
- Serve this chilled and super delicious thandai.
- Store the thandai powder in any air tight container.
You May Also Like :
Cooking with lots of love and straight from the heart.
Pans n ovens