Sweet Tamarind Chutney Recipe | Imli ki Meethi Chutney
Sweet and Sour Tamarind Chutney or Imli ki Chutney (Sonth) is a delicious Indian sauce made using tamarind, Sugar/jaggery and spices. This easy to make chutney can be used for making Bhel Puri, Papdi Chaat, Sev Poori can be served with samosa and is an integral part of any Indian Chaat. Here is how to make Tamarind Chutney, Imli Chutney or Saunth.
This chutney keeps good in refrigerator for more than a month, however if you want to freeze it, just transfer it in a freezer safe container and freeze for 5-6 months. When ready to use, thaw it over the counter for 3-4 hours and use as required.
Tamarind chutney lasts for more than a month when refrigerated. Make sure to use a clean glass container to store it.
Variation With Dates :
To make Tamarind Chutney with dates, chop 2 cups of seedless dates and soak them in 3 cups of water for 20 minutes. Add the dates along with the water in which they were soaked and tamarind water in a pan.
Reduce the amount of jaggery according to your taste and keep the remaining process same as mentioned below. When the chutney is ready, cool it a bit and blend in a blender to make a smooth chutney.
You can dry ginger powder in the recipe instead of fresh ginger for a different taste.
Sweet Tamarind Chutney (Imli ki Chutney)
- 1/2 Cup Tamarind Pulp
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder roasted
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tbsp Muskmelon Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Slightly roast Muskmelon Seeds and keep aisde.
- In a Pan add tamarind pulp and three Cups of water. Mix Well.
- Add Sugar and Jaggery. cook till the sugar melts.
- Add Black Salt, Ginger Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt, Garam Masala Powder, Cumin Powder, and Raisins.
- Bring to boil and Cook till the Chutney becomes Dense .
- Add roasted Muskmelon Seeds .
- Remove the pan from heat and keep on the counter until it is cooled properly.
- Transfer in a clean glass jar and refrigerate up to 3 months.Use as and when required.
Cooking with lots of love and straight from the heart.
Pans n ovens